Gujarat is one of the fastest-growing states and is known for its industrial and economic opportunities. The transport system has played a big part in its constant growth. As a consequence, the state experiences a consistent movement of traffic in most of its cities. The RTOs regulate this traffic by implementing several rules, one of which includes issuing Driving Licences (DLs) to drivers/riders. If you want to apply for a Driving Licence in Gujarat, this article will help you understand the process.
What is a Learner license?
Learner’s Licence is a temporary driving license, which means you applied for a driving license, you can drive with this license but a learner license is valid online for 6 months and this is not a permanent driving license. after 1 month, you got a learner’s driving license and you can apply for a permanent driving license.
|Validity period||Six months|
|Minimum age||16 years – Motorcycle without gear (50cc)18 years – Any light motor vehicle or motorcycle with gearExperience of driving a light motor vehicle for one year for transport vehicles|
|Medical certificate||Applicants aged above 50 should submit a medical certificate in form 1AApplicants seeking licence for transport vehicles should submit a medical certificateForm CMV 1 and 1A should be submitted for transport vehicle|
|Consent||A declaration by guardian or parents should be signed before the licensing authorities|
|Preliminary test||A written multiple choice test is held for applicants who have cleared SSLC or its equivalentOral tests are held for other categories of applicants by the Inspector of Motor Vehicles. For instance, an individual who already has a driving licence from another state government/ defence authority has to take the oral test onlyTest consists of questions on traffic signals, rules and regulations as per Motor Vehicles Act, responsibilities of a driver, necessary precautions when passing railway crossings and mandatory documents to be carried in a vehicle among others|
|Failing preliminary test||In case an applicant fails a preliminary test, he can take another test after 24 hours|
|Training from Motor Driving School||Mandatory for commercial vehicles as form no.5 is issuedNot compulsory for non-commercial vehicles|
Apply for Learning Licence online Application in Gujarat
Now we guide to step by step through all processes of getting a driving license in India. All the processes will explain to you and how to apply online and how to pay the fee, what is required in the document, all the details provided in this article.
The first step is preparing all require a document to apply for driving license online
Types of Driving Licenses in Gujarat
- Learner’s/learning license: Before obtaining a permanent driving license in Gujarat, an applicant needs to apply for a learner’s license first. This is a temporary license with a validity of 6 months. It is issued when the applicant is in the process of learning a motor vehicle.
- Permanent driving license: After 1 month of getting a learner’s license, you can apply for a permanent license.
- Driving license for motorcycles without gear: You can apply for this kind of permanent driving license if you wish to ride a scooter or moped that does not have a manual gearbox. The applicants should be at least 16 years of age to procure such a license
- Driving license for light motor vehicle: This class of driving license can be applied by people who are willing to drive a light motor vehicle such as a bike or car. To get this license, an applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- Driving license for transport vehicles: Individuals who want to drive carrier vehicles such as private service vehicles, trucks, taxis, etc can apply for this driving license. Applicants who are at least 21 years old are eligible to apply for this license.
Procedure for Acquiring a Learners License in Gujarat
It is important to note that the holder of a learner’s license should be under the supervision of an individual who holds a permanent driving license.
An applicant needs to take a test that consists of 15 questions on traffic rules, regulations, and signage among others. An applicant has to answer at least 11 questions correctly to clear the test. In case an applicant fails, he can take another test after 24 hours.
An applicant has to follow specific procedures to obtain a learner’s license online as listed below:
- Applicants should log on to https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan//en/content/how-apply-learners-license (acrobat reader version 9 should be available)
- Click on the link – ‘Issue of learning license to me’ from the menu bar
- A form will appear which should be filled out. Fields marked in red color are mandatory
- Applicants should click on the ‘submit’ button
- Applicants should note down the application number for seeking an appointment
- For booking an appointment for the test, applicants should click on ‘Appointment for LL Test’
- Application number and date of birth should be submitted for selecting a slot
- Acknowledgment slip should be printed
- Applicant should then report at the RTO with the acknowledgment slip 15 minutes before the scheduled slot
How to Apply for Learning Licence Offline in Gujarat?
When you choose to apply for a learner’s license offline in Gujarat, there are a few steps that need to be followed. Listed below are the important points you must follow to go through the application procedure.
Step 1: Visit the nearest RTO.
Step 2: Ask for the learner’s license application form and other required forms or download and print them from https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/.
Step 3: Fill in the forms and attach the requested documents.
Step 4: Submit the form along with the documents and passport-sized photographs.
Step 5: Pay the application fees.
Step 6: Choose a slot to take the learner’s license test.
Step 7: Visit the RTO on the selected date and give the test.
Step 8: If cleared successfully, the RTO will issue the learner’s license to the registered address or immediately to the applicant.
How to Apply for Learning Licence Online in Gujarat?
For people who choose to avoid the crowded lines and packed RTO offices, applying for a learner’s license online is the best option. Anyone applying for a learner’s license online must also follow some important steps to get their learner’s license. Here are those steps:
Step 1: Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
Step 2: Hover the mouse over or click on the “Online Services” drop-down tab.
Step 3: Select the “Driving Licence Related Services” tab.
Step 4: You will be redirected to a new page in which you will have to select the state in which you wish to apply for the learner’s license.
Step 5: Select the “Apply Online” drop-down and choose “New Learners Licence”.
Step 6: Read the instructions carefully before clicking on “Proceed”.
Step 7: Fill in the required information and click “Submit”.
Step 8: Scan and attach the documents required.
Step 9: Pay the application fees using any online banking method you prefer.
Step 10: Choose a slot that you would like to take the learner’s license test.
Step 11: Visit the RTO closest to you and give the driving test.
Step 12: Once cleared, the RTO will issue the learner’s license to the registered address.
If a learner’s license is misplaced, stolen, or damaged, the holder of the license can request a duplicate learner’s license by filling up the required forms and attaching the documents. There is also a certain fee that is required to be paid by the holder to get the duplicate license.
Eligibility criteria to apply for a driving license in Gujarat
- To obtain a license for a two-wheeler without gear, a person should have completed 16 years of age
- To obtain a license for a two-wheeler with gear, motor car, tractor, and other non-transport vehicles, a person should have completed 18 years of age
- To obtain a license for transport vehicles, a person should have completed 20 years of age and he/she should pass standard 8th pass, and must have experience of 1 year driving a light motor vehicle
- You must have a learning license
- The applicant should apply for a driving license 30 days after getting a learning license and within 180 days of the date of the issue mentioned on her learner’s license.
- Should be aware of all the traffic rules and regulations
Documents required for a learning license in Gujarat
Applicants need to submit the following documents at their respective RTO:
- Medical Certificate Form 1-A (only for persons applying for transport license)
- Self-declaration of physical fitness in Form-1
- Proof of Age such as a School Leaving Certificate, Birth Certificate, Passport, Pan Card, L.I.C. Policy, or a Certificate from a Civil Surgeon or a Doctor equivalent that can be submitted
- Proof of Address such as School Leaving Certificate, Passport, L.I.C. Policy, Electoral Voter I-Card, Light Bill, Telephone Bill, receipt of House Tax with address, Pay Slip of Central/State/Local self-Government, or an Affidavit from the applicant to that effect can be submitted
- Residence proof such as an Aadhaar card, voter ID, passport, ration card, electricity bills, house tax receipt, or recent phone bills
- Recent passport-size photographs
- Application fee